Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Nature of Life


It is 2:22 AM on a Tuesday, and I realized I’ve begun to understand the nature of Life. Those of you who have read my previous blog (2005) may realize that I'm referring to the entity, which controls everything around us, as not The Fates, but Life. I now think that Life is that entity, whose material form we see around us, which defines and completes our existence, and not the abstract concept of The Fate. I don’t mean to say that I don’t believe in Fate anymore, but Life seems to hold so much more power, that I am now inclined to explore it deeper.


What I have come to believe at this point of my... life... is that Life has something in store for all of us, an end which will finally help us make sense of this hopelessly confusing existence we call our lives. I have decided to trust Life, and peek out of my shell, to open the box, and see what life has in store for me. Unlike John Locke [LOST, Season 1], I do not believe it is our destiny to open the box, but that we shall ultimately reach our destiny, if we can accept the 'gifts' Life bestows upon us. I say 'gifts' because sometimes, or maybe usually, we do not like what Life hands out, but when I look back at an unpleasant 'gift' sometime down the line, I realize that it wasn’t so bad after all, because handling that unpleasantness taught me something new, and made me a better person. Like Calvin's Dad says "(if you don’t love it) It will build character"[Calvin and Hobbes, Jan 1986].


The reason I’m rambling on like this in the middle of the night, is that I was wondering why I don’t feel scared, or sad about being so, so far away from my family and friends. I think it’s because that I have put my trust in Life, and am eager to see what’s out there, past the horizon of time that I cannot see beyond.

No comments: